Is There a Teacher in You?
For over forty years, the Upper Valley Educators Institute of Lebanon, New Hampshire, has been helping talented adults with wide-ranging experience become great teachers.
At UVEI, adult college graduates become certified teachers through an intensive, 10-month internship program. Each UVEI teacher intern enters with a strong academic background and career and life experiences to share with students.
At UVEI, you will:
- Spend a full school year as an intern in actual classrooms (one each semester).
- Develop your skills and your confidence by working with a mentor teacher and a personal teaching supervisor as your coaches.
- Intern in school settings close to where you live.
- Gather with fellow interns for weekly seminars on topics that include curriculum planning, learning theory, child and adolescent development, and classroom management. There are no night classes.
- Earn teacher certification in only 10 months.
- Achieve 10 UVEI Competencies - you'll know in advance what it takes to become a teacher-with no exams or tests other than the Praxis exams required by your state.
- Be awarded up to 24 credits toward a masters degree.
- Prepare for schools and classrooms as they are-and be ready for schools as they should be.
In a recent survey of UVEI teacher graduates from the Classes of 2008-2012, with a return rate of 63%, 75% said they were well or very well prepared for teaching .
92% of hiring principals surveyed said they were satisfied or very satisfied with UVEI teacher preparation.
UVEI is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) and is approved to recommend teacher certification to the State of New Hampshire. Interstate agreements exist with other states, as well.